Tuesday, June 19, 2007

new trident maple - part 1

This trident maple (Acer burgerianum) was part of a trade. It looks very healthy, has not a single hole in the trunk and the pot by Peter Krebs is fabulous. At the moment the crown looks like an umbrella. This tree will look a lot better without foliage. I wonder about cutting off the thick branch right in front.It would open the view into the crown. I am sure the former owner has often thought about this too. But I believe he did not do it because the tree otherwise has not a single hole, as so many other trident maples have. Well, I kind of like interesting holes on deciduous trees. I know exactly that these are considered second rate in Japan. But we are not in Japan and I do not consider holes bad as long as they look natural. Very often they can make an otherwise boring tree interesting. I think this is a boring trident maple. While it could win awards for being 'perfect' it does not turn me on, I don't want to sleep with him. I would not give him high points. So let's think about mutilating the tree to make it more sexy. No joke, btw. Or I wait for the fool who wants the immaculate trident maple and pays accordingly.